Enjoying steaks in fancy dinners during Friday nights is something to look forward to, but is it really when you cannot chew properly? Several people experience discomfort in their jaws and feel that somehow, their upper and lower jaws might disconnect anytime. Laughing, chewing, smiling, and even yawning can be disrupted in many ways because of TMJ problems. But do not let this take away your good times with the best TMJ pain relief.
If you are someone who is not familiar with TMJ but is experiencing some jaw discomfort, then this article will not bore you at all.
What are TMJ disorders?
According to health blogs, Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder of the jaw muscles and nerves caused by an injury or inflammation to the temporomandibular joint. This joint is the connection between our jawbone and the skull. This leads to pain in chewing, clicking, cracking, and popping the jaw, which can also cause nerve inflammation and headache.
What are the Symptoms of TMJ disorders?
When you start to feel pain while chewing, pain in the ear, face, jaw, and neck, clicking grating, or popping sounds, locking of the jaw joint, ringing or popping sounds in the ears, blurred vision, dizziness or vertigo, and headaches, then you might want to start consulting your dentist because such problems are not usual.
But when you thought you and your jaw and skull are just doing fine, what could be wrong if you started experiencing the symptoms above?
What are the Causes of TMJ disorders?
There are no sufficient pieces of information that would say whether the following are causes of TMJ because some may be an effect. Causes may include:
- Misalignment or trauma of the teeth or jaw
- Teeth grinding
- Poor posture
- Stress and anxiety
- Orthodontic braces
- Excessive chewing of gum
What are the Risk Factors for TMJ?
Aside from the causes mentioned earlier, you have the potential to experience TMJ disorders if you are:
- A woman aged 18-44 years old
- A patient with chronic inflammatory arthritis
- A person with jaw trauma or poorly positioned teeth
- A person who have a genetic predisposition to pain sensitivity and increased stress responses
- A person with poor posture in the neck and upper back muscles.
If you are tired of your jaw clicking and not being able to enjoy chewing your food, then here are 9 best remedies for your TMJ pain relief:
Reduce stress and anxiety.
- On top of our list is stress which is not avoidable but highly relevant with muscle tension, especially in your TMJ. When you are stressed, your muscles get tight and stiff, including temporomandibular joints. They get sore and stay overworked, causing pain in the jaw. This starts to create a cycle between your TMJ and stress. So as much as possible, avoid stress and anxiety.
Welcome TMJ-friendly foods.
- Another way to relieve TMJ pain is eating foods that are not too hard to chew. Do not give your jaw a hard time. Eating crunchy foods such as cereals and chips is hard to avoid, but sticking with soft food such as mashed potatoes, oats, and puddings is better. Some sources also recommend that you cut your food into small pieces to make chewing a lot easier.
Conduct jaw exercises.
- Several sources prove that exercising your jaw relieves TMJ pain and can even prevent TMJ disorders. According to a 2010 study published in the Journal of Dental Research, performing TMJ exercises increases mouth opening range more than using a mouthguard in people with TMJ disc displacement.
Massage your jaw using oil.
- While exercising the jaw is essential, massaging it is vital as well. When a part of our body aches, we usually opt for massages, which work for jaw pains. Massaging your jaw using oil reduces pain and stiffness and also improves its mobility.
Make good posture as part of your routine.
- As mentioned, your TMJ is connected to the skull, which means that being conscious of your spinal alignment is advisable. Realignment exercises and sleeping on your back with a TMJ-friendly pillow are the advised practices for TMJ pain relief.
Get enough sleep.
- Getting enough sleep is beneficial not just in relieving TMJ disorders but also in addressing several health issues. Always aim to have eight hours of sleep. To avoid having sleeping problems, practice breathing exercises and meditation that will calm your body and mind.
Ice packs are your best friend.
- Probably one of the easiest and most accessible ways of relieving TMJ pain is using ice packs. Ice packs reduce inflammation, numb pain, and speed up healing to soothe the pain properly. Wrap an ice pack on clean clothing and apply it to affected areas. Do this in intervals of ten to fifteen minutes.
Watch out for bad habits.
- You should keep certain practices like what is mentioned earlier, but there are also those you need to avoid, such as nail-biting, resting your jaw in your hand, clenching your teeth or grinding it, and chewing cheeks and lips.
Get regular check-ups.
- You do not have to think about relieving TMJ pain when you can avoid it in the first place. Getting regular oral check-ups can give you tips to prevent TMJ disorders. After all, oral hygiene is as important as body hygiene, so let a professional check you.
If you have tried all of these remedies and are not satisfied with the results, worry no more because you can get your TMJ disorders consulted and cured. Isla Aesthetics is a group of professionals who take care of our skin and inner health holistically. Botox is injected to relieve TMJ pain, causing tensed muscles to relax.
Going through the disorder is frantically uncomfortable and painful. Discomfort like this can affect our everyday lives and even the smile we curve on our faces. But do not let TMJ disorder keep you from radiating joy with the best TMJ pain relief near you.
Craving to stop your jaw from aching? Grab the nearest gadget near you and start contacting the nearest beauty and wellness clinic. Now you can finally enjoy steaks on Friday night as your TMJ pain is relieved!